Sunday, June 21, 2009

And I Thought I Loved You Then

10 years ago, I remember sitting at a high school football game with two girlfriends, flirting with these cute guys behind us. I'll never forget how one of the guys picked on me and my curly hair, or how I pretended to have no interest what so ever in him either. I couldn't possibly forget how those butterflies in my tummy felt 9 or so months later when he kissed me. Yes, if you are counting back the years in this you will realize I was just a mere 13(well by the time he kissed me 14 THANK YOU :) ) and although I had probably written my first name with his last name 100000000 times, never did I imagine I would really be signing checks that way, seeing it on our bills, and hearing people say it aloud. Yes, of course I am talking about Derek.

Don't get me wrong, Derek and I didn't have this perfect high school sweetheart love. We actually didn't "date" in high school much at all. After that initial "puppy love" thing, we both went our separate ways, dated other people, but somehow(No, not somehow at all, of COURSE it was God) we found our way back to each other. We wondered what had taken both of us so long. Guess God has his perfect timing or maybe it was that free will thing that had been in our way! Whatever the case, now here we are, together for 4 years now, happily married for 3, and super proud parents for 2. It is amazing how life plays out!

How could I have known at 13 that the night of that football game I would be meeting the father or my children, my husband, my soul mate? I couldn't have! I am so glad Derek is my husband though. He is not perfect, WE are not perfect. We fight over stupid things, but we honestly love each other and no matter what comes our love is FOREVER!

I remember the night we found out we were pregnant with Carson. I was terrified, but Derek was the most excited man on the planet! I'll never forget the look on his face, the biggest smile in the world, and how he couldn't wait to tell anyone who would listen. I should of known right then he would be the world's most amazing father. After Carson was born, I would listen to friends say, "Well my husband doesn't change diapers!", or "My husband won't get up in the middle of the night" and I just smiled because I knew Derek does all those things. What could make you love a man more than creating a life with him, and seeing him go above and beyond to help that life grow and thrive? NOTHING! When Camden came along I was scared Derek and I couldn't love someone like we did Carson. I was wrong, because the moment I saw Camden come into this world I was head over heals, over the moon, in love. I will never forget those first precious days with Camden, seeing Derek hold him and kiss him, change his first POOPY diaper :). I knew he felt the same way I did, it was LOVE. I fall in love with him all over again everytime I see him snuggle up with Camden, or read Carson his nightly bedtime story. Derek is without a doubt an example of what a Dad should be.

Sometimes I am forgetful about how lucky I am to have Derek. Today, I couldn't possibly forget. Today is father's day and instead of being here with us (Where he should be) he is working. I know not because he wants to, but because that is the providing man he is. He has to get this job done, and Derek is a man of his word. That is what I love about him, he doesn't make me false promises. He tells me he will do something and he always follows through. I guess that is why I never question if our love is forever, because he promised me it was and I know that it is!

Derek I love you more than words can say, without you I'd be lost. You are an amazing man of God, father, and my best friend!




1 comment:

  1. That is probably the most precious thing I have read all day..Awww.. :)

    ReplyDelete