Monday, April 27, 2009

Somethings got to change

Well I am sure many of you already know this, but for those who don't here is what has gone on since I last blogged.

Lets rewind to Friday when I actually posted my last blog...If memory serves me corrected I stated that I felt maybe yet another ear infection was bothering my little boy, and YES I was right. After I blogged, I fed Camden his breakfast and after screaming through just about every bite, and looking as pitiful as he did, I decided I could no longer let him go on like this and called his Dr. This is actually what he looked like:



Yes, I know he is smiling(that is just his nature, he IS normally a very happy boy) but his splotchy face, and half droopy eyes, and hysterics everytime he swallowed, told me something much more was going on. I felt almost ridiculous calling his Dr, because although he has had an ear infection just about every time I have taken him there, I still feel as if sometimes I am just worried over nothing. Glad I decided to trust my gut and take him though. I find it AMAZING at how in tuned mothers are with their children. Its almost as if we are one person. I know him, I know when he is hurting, even when he can say nothing at all. Well as guessed, SURE ENOUGH his right ear was infected AGAIN! He had only been off antibiotics for a week and an infection had returned. This was my last straw. I agreed to let him see an ENT and have tubes put in. I know a few weeks ago I was struggling with this decision, but I feel in my heart I am only being selfish by putting this off. Although, the thought of them putting my baby to sleep scares the MESS out of me, I can't let him suffer any longer. He isn't sleeping through the night, he is throwing up all the time(which my Dr. confirmed is very common in reflux babies with ear issues. He said he doesn't know which triggers which, but they go hand in hand and make each other worse) and he is just irritable and fussy for the most part. I prayed long and hard about this and I am trusting my motherly instincts and getting my baby the help he needs! Pray for us and wish us LUCK!

In other news....Potty training isn't going quite as good as I hoped. I worked with Carson all day Saturday and although I did see improvements throughout the day, nothing seemed to really STICK! When the day first started Carson had NO interest in even sitting on the potty, but the more fun I made it, the easier it was to convince him to do it! I found the most effective way to get him to stay on the potty for short periods of time was to either read or let him read himself books! He never actually went to the potty, but he did tell me he needed to go a few times and when I would put him on the potty he would just let out gas(TMI? haha) he was so proud of himself for that and he would say, "MOMMY I Did it, I stinky!" <---HAHA yes, the exciting life of motherhood!!!- Although he didn't REALLY stinky I would still praise him and tell him< "GOOD BOY CARSON!" I felt this was great progress because he felt something going on in that tummy of his and took the initiative to go on the potty! Hoping things progress alittle more than this though soon!!

Anyways, that is all for now. I will update more about the ear situation when I talk and meet with the ENT!

10 comments:

  1. I am so sorry that Camden is going through all of this!! I think that you are doing the right thing because he has been going through this for such a long time. I hope this takes care of it! Hope the potty training gets better and is a smooth transition for Carson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry to hear that Camden is having to go through all of this. I hope everything goes well and that the happy baby gets to officially be a happy baby :)
    I'm here for you girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! I found your blog from April Rose. My youngest two kids suffered from horrible ear infections from 11/06 until they had their surgeries (one 4/07 the other 6/07). My daughter's were so bad that she needed multiple courses of antibiotics before they would go away and then she was lucky if she made it a week before she got another one. My son's would clear up, but then come right back again. I just wanted to let you know that the PE tubes were a true God send! Neither one of them have had an ear infection since the surgery! While I was uneasy about putting them through a surgery, it was truly the best thing for them. It was horrible watching them in pain and one medication after another. My daughter also started having reactions to all of the antibiotics and kept breaking out in rashes and hives. I pray that the surgery will be as much of a benefit for you as it has been for us!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Lisa! Same thing is going on with my Camden. He has done multiple rounds of antibiotics and even when the infection sometimes goes away, exactly one week later we are back at the Dr. again! Your kind and reassuring words really mean alot! THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  5. He is such a handsome little guy! :) I just read your comment, and I agree - I know no one else, or have even heard of anyone else named Hallie, and when I read the His Will Wednesday post on April's mama's blog, I just felt very led to come to your blog and keep you and your little man in my prayers. Thank you so much for yours as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found your blog from April Rose's and wanted to pass on my email address so I could share my son(s) ear infections stories. I have been in your shoes (more than once) and feel I have a lot of information you would be interested in. I just don't want to take up all your comment space haha!!! please feel free to email me at marissahulett@gmail.com if you would like to talk.
    I'm praying for you and your son!
    ~Marissa

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey there, i was going to email you but couldn't find one on the page so i'm just going to leave you a comment! a month or two before my son turned 1 he started getting a lot of ear infections that wouldn't respond to antibiotics. its awful, but after 2 or 3 antibiotics, we finally got one that worked. i think part of it was from teething and the dr. also thought part of it was from the winter and the infections would go away once it warmed up. and my son also had a red rash on his cheeks like that and it turns out he has eczema and we have a hydrocortisone cream that the dr. prescribed for us. looking at the pics of your son reminds me of mine with his rosy red cheeks before we started using the cream! so maybe that's something you want to talk to your dr. about. feel free to email me at emilieninon@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am yet another one who saw your blog through April Rose's. I am so sorry you are going through this with your son. I KNOW just how you feel, you see me son who I think is roughtly the same age (10.5 months)as yours suffers from many if not all of the same things your son does. My son suffers from chronic ear infections, has severe reflux and NEVER ate baby food. I hate that you have to deal with this, I am praying for your son that they might figure out what is causing everything.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My son has suffered from rashes and eczema since about 9 months old. We have finally found help for him, and it is working. If you would like to talk about what has helped us, I would love to share it with you. Just know that it is somewhat normal for him to become immune to these anti-biotics. Eventually they do damage to the digestive process and the immune system, which almost all lies in the gut. You have to replace what is being lost by the anti-biotics. Anyway, go through my blog if you just want to chat with someone who may understand what you are going through.

    ReplyDelete
  10. He is adorable! My daughter has acute ear infections and it's so funny how us Mommies ALWAYS know!! Her Dr has laughed at me a few times, because I brought her in b/c of 1 small symptom...but we always know!! We are in the process of the tubes talk now too...

    ReplyDelete