Sunday, September 27, 2009

Let's agree to disagree

OK, I want some feedback with this post other MOMMIES! Let me start by saying I love my husband DEARLY! Before we had children, I can remember sitting up late at night and talking about our views on parenting and what kind of things we would and wouldn't let our children do. It was so amazing because we both felt almost the exact same way on so many issues, and that was just more reassurance for me that we were just mean to be. To me, that is one of the most important things you can hope for in a spouse, is someone who shares the same(at least mostly) views and ideas about parenting and raising children. Don't get me wrong, NO ONE can agree on everything. I totally am not oblivious to the fact that inevitably there will be things that we differ on, but for the most part we see eye to eye on just about all things that involve our children. What happens though when something in thrown in the mix and you have different opinions on it though? Funny you should ask....because that is EXACTLY what happened in the Godwin house. Fortunately for us, its a very minor issue lol other wise I don't think I would be blogging about it. Maybe my girlfriends(or guys friends if you read this blog) can give me your feedback and say what YOU do in your family for these type of situations! :-)

My husband and I were raised totally different. He grew up in a very religious home and had a personal relationship with God. Although, I grew up believing in God, and my mom never discouraged us from going to church, we rarely ever did. I want our children to be close with God, and so I am choosing to raise them like my husband was raised. I love how much my husband loves the Lord and I am so thankful that my boys will have such a great example to look up to! I know that I have Derek to thank for the closeness I have with God today, and he truly was my saving grace. Since Derek grew up so close to God, I usually don't question his motives if he tells me he would prefer the boys not watch certain cartoons or movies because he feels they are evil or "new age." Last night however I was reading the boys a book I grew up reading and always thought was cute and Derek said,"He thinks the book is not good for the kids and wants me to throw it away!" I have to say I do NOT agree with him and although the book has some strange looking characters in it, I do NOT think its evil. Maybe a little out there at best, but certainly NOT evil. Here is where I want feedback mommies/or daddies! What do you do in your family when situations arise like this? DON'T get me wrong, we aren't FIGHTING about this or MAD at each other, I just think it will be nice to hear what other families do when the mom and dad agree to disagree??

Ok now on a lighter note...I will wrap this up with some pictures that are SURE to make you smile! SILLY BOYS!!!

This is how Camden drives his boat!

And if you remember in my last post I said Carson likes to do things in his own "special" way....another PRIME example!

These two little boys REALLY love each other!!


5 comments:

  1. Well, personally. When it comes to little issues that one has a problem and one doesn't. We usually side with the person that has the issue. Because maybe there really isn't anything wrong with the book, but if it bothers Derek, then you should get rid of it. We just try and look at it like what would we want to do if the tables were turned and is it a big deal if we give it up. Example: When Addison was almost hear I had told Nathan I wanted to pierce Addison's ears as a baby. He said he wanted her to be old enough to ask for it. Not a certain age just old enough to say, "Mommy can I get my ears pierced?" kinda thing. And I was a little sad because I think it's so cute on baby girls and also I don't know girls that don't get them eventually. But it was important to him so I agreed and let it go. I think if it's REALLY something you disagree on, then it's worth going back and forth, but if its something small, maybe just try and agree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I'm interested in what book?? haha :)

    I know it's not a big issue, but if we disagree about anything, we just take some time to pray about it seperately and then come back together and discuss the issue. If the book really bothers Derek's spirit, then you might want to side with him.
    It's really hard to submit for me, but I'm learning! And if we really pray about it, usually there's one side that is clearly the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. first of all, those pictures are tooo cute! you are so blessed that the boys are so close in age, i would love to have another baby so that kailynn can have a best friend like your boys have eachother. i love the picture of carson sleeping on the slide!! that is so precious!!

    we tend to disagree on a lot of things in our house! like you guys we were raised in COMPLETE opposite lifestyles. but usually we talk about why we disagree. its hard to say exactly what we would do, especially because I am such a pushover! is there a way you two could compromise? i mean, if he feels that strongly about the book? i hope you guys figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just to throw it out there because I know alot of you are ITCHING to know..the book is "Where the Wild Things Are"

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha I KNEW it! We saw a commercial because that movie is coming out and Nathan said, "Aww we should see that becuasethat was a great book. I remember my parents reading it to me as a kid." And I said I never read the book because I didn't like those people and he could watch the movie by himself. haha I think everyone has their own personal convictions. There are a lot of scary movies that I just can't handle and Nathan would like to see but since I can't, we don't watch them. It's interesting that Stephanie said something about submitting to your husband because that is something I'm learning on a deeper level. Maybe this is just one of those times that if Derek asks you not to read that book to the kids, you agree even if you don't believe it's bad.

    ReplyDelete