Sunday, September 6, 2009

Our weekend with the FLU

It all started Friday morning. Derek was getting Carson ready to go to school( I call it school, I guess its really daycare. They do learn lots so humor me and call it school too lol) . Anyways, back to what I was saying...Ahemmmm... so Derek was getting Carson ready for school and I could hear Carson crying and not being his normal happy self. Although I do not have school on Friday, I usually use that day to get all the things I cannot get done during the week. I typically do alot of cleaning and studying on those days and I have Cam here with me. I got up out of bed and Derek said to me, " I don't think Carson is feeling good, maybe he should stay home with you today!" I could just look at Carson and tell Derek was right. I felt his forehead and he didn't feel warm, but I asked Carson if he would like to stay home and go back to sleep with mommy, and he said, "yes!" So, it was off to sleep we went. We slept until about 8:30 and then got up to eat some breakfast. Carson and Cam played and Carson seemed in a much better mood than the first time he woke up. He had a strange dry cough, but nothing I would even think to worry about. About 10:30 I noticed Carson was very quiet. Him and Camden were watching cartoons, and I looked at Carson and it was unmistakable. His little face was beat red, his eyes puffy and swollen, and I felt his head...HE WAS BURNING UP! I took his temp. and sure enough 102.8! It all happened so fast. I immediately gave him tylenol and called the Ped. center. They told me to bring him in around 1:15. I hurried and got all of us ready and then dropped Cam off at his Meme's house. Those of you with two children can agree, two babies in a Dr's office is more than alot of work, its exhausting. Plus, I knew Carson needed his mommy's undivided attention. We got to the Dr. they brought us right back and took his temp. Even after the tylenol it was still high, infact it had increased to 103.1! The Dr. took one look at Carson and said, "Mom, I hate to tell you this but I can almost guarentee you he has the flu." Then he proceeded to say, "And there is a very good chance its H1N1(better known as the SWINE Flu)" I sat there and just was shocked. How in the WORLD did my baby get the swine flu. The swabbed his nose(which was NOT an easy task, he wasn't HAVING it at all) and we waited for the results. Sure enough, he tested positive for both flu A and Flu B- which is a sure sign of swine flu. The dr. wrote us a prescription for Tamiflu and sent us home with the fear of knowing this is very easily spreadable!

The first night was pretty bad. Carson was miserable. His fever was up and down and he would look at his daddy and I with the most pitiful face and say, "Mommy , Daddy...I don't feel good....I HURT!" He had me in tears several times. It is hard hearing that sweet voice tell you how bad they feel. Cam seemed to be weathering fine and I just held out hope that JUST maybe he would be spared. Keeping them seperated with impossible though. They are brothers and love to be around each other. I did my best, but it wasn't easy. We let Carson sleep with us that night because his fever was around 104 and not breaking and we were just worried sick about him. It didn't hurt either that he BEGGED to sleep with us. It was a ROUGH night to say the least. He spent most of the night coughing and his daddy and I spent most of the night tossing and turning. Here is Carson probably at his sickest, laying in Mommy's lap

Saturday we all got up and it was obvious that no matter the precautions, it had gotten to Cam too! Same dry cough, puffy eyes and red face. I felt his head, sure enough he was warm. I immediately called the Ped center and they were nice enough to just go ahead and call Tamiflu in to the pharmacy for Camden. No need to see him, it was quite obvious what was wrong with him. I think Saturday was the hardest, both boys were needing their mommy, and Derek had to work. I did the best I could, I made them both as comfortable as possible, and kept them hydrated. I knew Camden had to be feeling pretty bad because he had absolutely NO desire to eat. Anyone who knows him knows this is NOT him at all. That boy EATS any chance he is given. Guess I need to just say, THANK GOD FOR PEDIALYTE. When Derek got home it took a big load of me, I was able to hop in the bath and run to town to grab Cam's meds and stock up on more pedialyte and motrin. By that night Carson was doing better. He was still running a fever, and acting kind of puney, but he wasn't lethargic anymore and was moving around a little better. Camden on the other hand was the sickest I have ever seen him. He was burning up and just looked pitiful. He layed in my lap or his daddy's and just moaned. It was pretty heart wrenching. His daddy and I prayed over him and just ask God to give his little body some relief. Around 7ish I took his temp and it was 103. I dosed him with tylenol and gave it a little time. After an hour still no change so I gave him motrin and again waited. By 9:30 it was still 103 and I was getting worried, so I broke out the rags, got them cool and put them on his head. Here he is sitting with daddy, trying to get his fever to break
I am not sure it ever did, but he feel asleep I must of held him for a few hours and just listened to him breathe. I honestly felt helpless, and my mommy instincts were having a hard time accepting that I couldnt fix this or make it all better.

This morning(Sunday) Carson was almost back to his old self. He was running a low grade fever, but his silly little spirit was renewed and it was very relieving! My little bear on the other hand was still burning up and I wasn't really sure his fever had ever broken from the night before. His daddy just held him and rocked him and it was pitiful just listening to him whimper. I again dosed him up with some tylenol and waited. After an hour had went by and nothing had changed I was ready to load him up and head to the ER. I couldn't stand to sit there and watch my baby be so miserable. After going back in fourth in my head though, I reasoned with myself and came to the conclusion that taking him there would probably be a waste. I knew there was nothing they could really do for him. I knew I could do just as much as they could here at home and he would probably be alot more comfortable here too. Since Carson was feeling better he was my little helper boy. He fed Camden some rainins for me see

As the afternoon has progressed, God has answer our prayers and BOTH boys are feeling better. Their fevers are still around 101-102 but they are getting their energy and silly little personalities back. As much as I am so sad this happened to them, it was nice getting to be their MOMMY. They wanted me, they wanted my love and affection. Just me sitting and rocking them was medicine to them. Corny as it is, Mommy and Daddy's love helped them get better. There is NO better feeling in the world than knowing you are someones hero and protector and this weekend made me just thank God that I am these sweet boys mommy! Unfortunantly, I am not feeling so good now, but I will push through and just be thankful my baby boys are OK! :-)

This is them NOW, watching some Dora, and feeling much better!

No comments:

Post a Comment