Friday, January 8, 2010

What life is like for me these days!

WHEW! I just finished my first week as a nursing student and I am feeling dizzy, anxious, excited, and somewhat overwhelmed!! It's been a whirlwind and I know that this is just the beginning and nothing will be slowing down anytime soon! In fact, I have a good idea that things will be gearing up even faster than I can imagine!! This week has been another week of first for several of us in the Godwin house hold. It was Cam's first week of daycare, my first week of nursing school, Derek's first week of seeing the craziness he is going to be dealing with for the next 18 months lol!

Let me just tell you what my days consisted of this week! I woke up at 6 a.m.(which can I say is NOT MY THING, I am not a morning person, but I think I am going to have to learn to be.) Anyways, I started my coffee, ate some yogurt(or a bagel, or cereal, or a bananas,or whatever was closest) and gave my self some time to wake up. I got dressed, did something with my hair, put some makeup on and then woke the boys up. Derek was up by then and has helped me get them ready each morning, and then it was out the door. The first day, I was so antsy. The whole drive to the boys school I couldn't help but wonder what my little bear was going to think about all the things he was about to experience. Although he seems to always adjust to things very quickly, he has always only stayed with family or close friends and so this would be a new ball game for him. When I arrived I got the boys out, brought them in, and they sat at their table to eat breakfast! I forgot my camera(BOOOOO) but I did manage to snap a few pics on my phone!
I think the fact that he walked in and immediately was greeted with a yummy pancake helped Camden to warm up to the place very quickly! I kissed them both several times and told them I was leaving. Camden gave me a puzzled look, but never cried(thank goodness) and it was off I went. I was thankful that I got out of there without any tears, but once I got in the car my eyes started to water a little bit. I guess it was the realization that Camden is getting to be such a big boy, and experiencing so many big boy things now. Anyways, I arrived at school at 8 a.m and from that point on it was pretty much non stop. Yes, we did get breaks for lunch, bathroom, water, but other than that it was GO GO GO. As I left school, I had to rush to go get the boys, get home to start dinner, then baths, bed for the boys, and homework for me. The next day at 6 am this all started over again! Yes, its crazy. I know this is just the beginning, but I am still super excited! I am waking up each day, excited to see what it brings. I have a feeling next quarter I might be singing a different tune, but for now I am liking the "newness"!

I know you didn't think it was going to be that easy with Cam's new adjustments? You are right, it wasn't! As the week progressed, Camden started to realize this was the real deal. I called several times to check on him, and they told me he was struggling a little bit. They said that he knows Carson is in the other room and that every time someone entered Camden's classroom he would scream for his "bubba!" and get hysterical. Do y'all know how much this hurts my heart? I know it is something that he will have to get used to and in time he will, but man does it tear at the my heart strings to know he is missing his brother. His teachers are SO amazing though, and they reassured me that this is normal and he will get used to the idea of being separated from him. They also assured me that once Camden calms down a little and is a little more adjusted, that they will indeed let him go see Carson for short visits. They said that they know how strong sibling bonds can be, and want the siblings at their school to be able to interact, as long as its not causing issues. I know this is really going to be great for Camden in the long run, but it is hard knowing he is so upset. Most people think of daycare in a somewhat negative sense, and If I didn't know first hand, I probably would too. Thankfully, I can assure you Noah's Ark is nothing like some of the horror storries you hear though. They are a christian learning facility, and are dedicated to teaching and helping these children learn to be independent and love Jesus. I fully trust them with the boys, and know that I couldn't leave them in better hands. I know that anytime of day I just "pop in" they will be doing exactly what they should be doing. I know I have just surprised them several times in the middle of the day and I come to find them reading the children bible stories, or working on arts and crafts, or teach the children their colors and numbers. Carson has truly learned so many awesome things there, and I am so very thankful for the workers there. I think knowing what I know about the place, is helping me adjust to too. I know they are safe, loved, and in a great environment to thrive.

Derek and I have also discovered there is NO WAY we can do this with one vehicle. Yes, Derek has a work truck, but it is not big enough for the boys car seats. I have already seen there will be days I need to be at school very early, and many nights I will be there long past 5:30(when the boys must be picked up). We really aren't in a financial position to go purchase another car, but we feel its best to find something cheap, but reliable just to get us through the next two years. We are looking for something that will cost $4000 or less and hopefully be great on gas mileage. An older Honda Accord or civic would be IDEAL, but that may be hard to find in this economy. All we know for sure is, we MUST have another vehicle if this is all going to run smoothly.

So, week one is over and I am pooped! I won't lie, its been exhausting for everyone. I am ready to embark on this journey though and face this new chapter of life!

2 comments:

  1. Does Uncle Mike know anyone that can go to a car auction?? That is a great way to find a deal of a car.
    I am glad things were so exciting this week. This will be an awesome journey full of sacrifices and exhaustion, BUT sooo worth it in the end!!! ((HUGS))~Missy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hallie, you are the winner of the Blog Design Giveaway!! Please contact me at Jamie@e-techweb.com

    ReplyDelete