Sunday, August 30, 2009

The moments that make my heart SMILE!

In past posts I have blogged about Carson and his non-existent potty enthusiasm. When I first hopped on the potty wagon, I just envisioned Carson knowing exactly what to do, catching on with no problems, and this whole potty thing being a piece of cake. I WAS WRONG! After many packs of pull-ups, a child who had NO interest in going on the toilet whatsoever, and a mom(ME)who was thinking that she'd end up with a 6 year old still in diapers, things were NOT going as planned. After meeting with some other moms at a Breastfeeding group I go too( I know, WEIRD..I don't even breastfeed anymore, but I got attached to the other moms there and haven't been able to ween myself away yet lol) I got some helpful advice, and a new determination. I have heard so many things lately about just letting the child be naked and that way if they do go on the floor they can actually visuialize what exactly they are doing. This is about the LAST thing I wanted to do. I could just SEE myself spending the day scrubbing poopy and pee out of my carpet. With much hesitation though, I knew I needed to give it a try. So Saturday I decided it was now or never. I took off Carson's diaper and put him on his potty. I explained to him that he was a big boy now and no longer needed to wear a diaper. I told him that if he felt the urge that he should go on the potty and not on the floor. Nervous as I was, I just crossed my fingers and prayed for the best! The best is EXACTLY what I got, Carson caught on immediately and only had ONE accident on the floor(and he did it was right next to the potty) other than that, he used the potty everytime he had to go that afternoon! Yes, there is that proud little boys using his potty like a pro! I think Camden wanted in on the action too, but he will have to wait his turn! Sunday, we went to church and I put him in a pullup because we have a strict policy in our church nursery that unless a child is FULLY potty trained they must wear a diaper or pullup! When he had the pullup on not ONCE did he ask to use the bathroom. I was not happy when I heard this, but I expected it because to him a pullup is just a diaper. After church, I went to walmart and bought him a package of new big boy underwear, I was determined not to give up! When he woke up from his nap Sunday, I took off the pullup and showed him what I had bought. Carson was soo excited, they have cars on them and he loves them. Here he is in his new undies! Can you guess what happened after I put those on? NO ACCIDENTS the rest of the day. He went on the potty every single time! Its amazing what not having a diaper or pull ups on has done for him! I don't even have to ask if he needs to go, he just goes to the bathroom, does his stuff, and then comes out and say with the biggest smile, "MOMMY I DID IT!" I am so proud of him! Today, he went off to school in big boy undies. I was slightly hesitant, but I have faith that he will do well. Derek said he didn't pee at all on the way to school and as soon as he walked in the door, he told his teacher he needed to potty! WAY TO GO CARSON! :-)

Other moments that make my heart smile are ones like this When Carson and his daddy are so preciously asleep on the couch! Soo sweet!

Or this When Camden has the cutest, cheesiest, smile on his face!

Yes, I have ALOT of reason for my heart to smile!

1 comment:

  1. That's so exciting! Way to go Carson! I'm dreading potty training, but I can only hope it goes this well!

    ReplyDelete