Tuesday, November 10, 2009

I am worried!

I am a mom and of course I worry! I try to not worry too much, or look to deep into things, but sometimes things are hard to over look. I am worried about Camden and honestly not sure what to do, or where to go. Here is the problem: Camden is an EATER and I know there is nothing wrong with that. I don't consider him overweight(and at his age the Dr says thats almost impossible) but I do think he has a problem. MY child eats more than my husband can eat, and never gets full. He eats and eats and eats, and until you pysically PULL the food from his hands he refuses to STOP. Maybe this wouldn't be such a problem if he wasn't ALSO eating things that aren't etable. I know babies put things in their mouths, but I know we are all born with the reflex to spit out what doesn't taste good. NOT CAMDEN, at least once a day he sneaks into our bathroom and I find him eating soap. YES you read that right...bars of soap! Pica may come to mind, but developmentally Camden is ADVANCED and his Dr explained to me that children with Pica usually show very delayed development! We ran blood work on him anyway, and it came back fine. I dont' want to be worked up over this, but it just bothers me that I dont know what to do to stop it or get it under control. Maybe I shouldn't be worried, maybe this is normal, but when my son is eating so much and also trying to eat non-etable things, it worries me! The other night we had a birthday party at our house and cooked hamburgers and fries. Camden ate a whole burger(these weren't mini burgers...TRUST ME) and fries. Carson ate maybe two bites of his burger and said he was full. The next thing I know, Camden has climbed up to the table and eating MOST Of Carson's burger too!
Everyone thought it was so funny and cute, and it was...but after I got him down and caught him digging in the trash to eat someone elses burger, I no longer found it amuzing. How can he NOT feel full, my grown HUSBAND can't down 3 cheeseburgers...so how can a 16 month old? I really really really don't want anything to be wrong with Camden, trust me! I should be relieved that his blood work came back perfectly normal, because after reading about Pica I was terrified and praying to GOD that my son was not going to have this. Honestly though, and I MEAN be honest...is this something you would be concerned about?

2 comments:

  1. I would be a little worried. Addison is on the lower side of eating and eats less than most children but she continues to grow so fast so that just means each child is different. But 3 hamburgers and fries and looking for more sounds like too much. Do you give him Vitamins? The only thing I can think of is maybe his body is trying to get something he is lacking. Or maybe he loves eating but just can't tell when he is full. I haven't read on this so I have no clue. I think he is very healthy so it's not a huge concern. But I would maybe do a little reading, praying, and just keep an eye on him for a little while to see if you notice anything or if it doesn't change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom went through (almost) the same situation as you when we were babies, my sister and I are the same age difference as your boys. We lived in a Duplex with my 2 older boy cousins.. so basically we were not girlie babies, we played rough like the big boys. Anyway, she went through that same thing with us.. when she cooked dinner she would have to put our food out for us and then HIDE the rest of the leftovers or we would keep eating until it was all gone, whether we were full or not. Also, our garbage can was locked up in a cabinet, Im not sure whether we would have dug through the garbage or not? But have you had him tested for like tapeworm or something? im sure its not that, but that did happen to one of my friends. I hope everything works out for you guys.

    ReplyDelete