Wednesday, November 4, 2009

My how fast things CHANGE!

When I decided to go to school to be a nurse, it was mainly based off of the AMAZING job I felt the nurses did when I had both boys. They were so supportive, and you could just tell they loved their jobs. With Carson there was a nurse whos shift had ended HOURS before he was born, but she stayed right by my side anyways because she said she wanted to see me through until the end. How awesome is that? She could of went home, but she loves what she does so much, that staying isn't even an issue to her. It was then that I had this "hunger" to get into something that I loved and would be a career I would be happy with and proud of. My ultimate goal is to work either Labor and Delivery or the Mother/baby unit, and I pray everyday that God will open that door for me when the time comes. Up until my sweet Peyton(my best friends daughter) was born, I had never seen a baby born in real life. Being there for Peyton's birth was so amazing, and emotional and I am just blessed that Aaron(her mom) let me be there for such a monumental day in her and her husbands lives. I think I have a special bond with Miss Peyton because of it, and I love her to pieces! I am so grateful I got to see things from that side of table, because having a baby and seeing one born are two TOTALLY different experiences. Last night, I got to see new life be born again. Autum(one of my oldest and closest friends) gave birth to a beautiful baby boy, and she asked me to be there to witness Baby Jaevyn's birth. It felt SO great to be there to encourage her and also I was able to help her nurse for the first time right after he was born. She has an older son and didn't nurse him, but really wanted to with Jaevyn. It felt so awesome to be there to help her get comfortable and get him latching good the first time. I was AMAZED at how alert this little guy was right after birth and he, no lie, came out LOOKING for the *GOOD STUFF*! At 5 minutes old he was rooting around, sucking his hand, and I have never seen a baby do that so soon. He latched right on within 15 minutes of being born and stayed that way for a good 15 to 20 minutes....It was AMAZING and I know it gave my friend Autum a great boost of confidence to see him doing soo well with it so soon! Seeing both these babies born, and being able to help both of these friends with nursing advice and issues has only FUELED my hunger to do this for a living and be there to coach, guide, and assist in lots of women having babies. I don't see how the job could ever get old or any less exciting, and I am just trusting God to help me pursue this dream. I think I will probably have to work on my overwhelming emotions though lol because so far I haven't been able to stop the water works from coming at either birth. I don't know how strangers would feel if their nurse is boo-hooing as their baby lets out their first cry :-)

It also never fails to amazes me how quickly these babies grow. I took my Little Bear for his 15 month check up today(even though he is really only a week from being 16 months) and he has already tripled his weight since birth. My 8lb 6 oz newborn is now a VERY healthy 29lb (ALMOST) 16 month old! My how things change.*THEN*
*NOW* The Dr. said he is perfectly healthy and maybe even a little advanced for his age. He is in the the 90th percentile for both his height and weight, and his verbal communication the Dr. said is advanced. I attribute this to the fact that he is picking up ALOT of things Carson says and the Dr. agreed! Let's just hope he doesn't pick up some things that slip out of Mommy's mouth on occasion! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment