Tuesday, February 2, 2010

GOAL speech

So, this is the speech I have put together to read this morning to the panel of judges. I was asked to write about myself and my family, my program, how the education I recieve has/or will change me, why I choose SWGTC, and my future plans/goals. I figured its safe to post it this morning, since hopefully no one else will be readying my blog to steal my ideas! :-)
HERE IT IS:

Goal Presentation
Hello! My name is Hallie Godwin. I am a 23 year old, mother, wife, and student from Thomasville, Ga. I share this life with my best friend Derek whom I married in June of 2006, and together we have two amazing and adorable little boys named Carson and Camden. I am proud to be an A.D.N student here at South West Georgia Technical College, and am looking forward to all the opportunities this career will offer me. With the nursing demand growing, I like the flexibility of knowing that no matter where I choose to live, my skills will always be needed. I also love the diversity nursing offers. I can work a fast paced, life saving job in the emergency room, or a slower paced, one on one job in a Doctor’s office. The possibilities are numerous. It’s very assuring knowing there are so many different options my education will enable me to have. I know that my education is the first building blocks I will need though in order to become a successful nurse.

Although I just started my actual program, I have already witnessed how committed the faculty is to teaching their students everything they will need to know in order to step out of the classroom and directly into a job. Not only will we be equipped with all the theories and fundamental of nursing, but we will also be taught the hands on skills to be successful in the nursing field too. That played a big factor in why I choose Southwest Georgia Technical College for my education. I wanted to earn a degree in which I’d immediately be able to apply what I learned to my profession. Technical colleges do just that, and I really commend the fact that they stand behind their student’s education. I can already see the benefits of the training I am receiving, and cannot wait to see how much this whole experience is going to change not only my life, but the life of my family as well. I am looking forward to giving my children a brighter future, and enhancing my own by entering a career in which the main focus is helping others. Even if I wasn’t lead to become a nurse, I still see myself choosing a Technical College for my education. I have many friends whom are currently enrolled in other programs here, and I have yet to hear them have negative remarks regarding the learning and training experiences they are receiving. I have even had prior graduates brag on the staffs willingness and efforts to help them be placed into a job upon graduation. I have no doubts that when I complete my program in June of 2011, I will be shown the same help and encouragement.

When I enrolled here at SWGTC, I already had a very clear vision of my career goals and plans for the future. I felt God urging me to pursue the desires of my heart, and now ( A year later) I still feel that way. Honestly, as a child, I never really knew what I wanted to be. That is why I sometimes jokingly call nursing, “The career that choose me!” It wasn’t until after I gave birth to my two sons, that I knew nursing was my calling. My entire motivation for becoming a nurse is based on the exceptional care I received during the hospital stays of childbirth. As I embark on this journey and transformation of becoming an R.N, I do it with the goal of one day being the caregiver alongside expectant mothers, helping them cope with the trails of labor. I know that as long as I never lose sight of why I started the career in the first place, that I will do an excellent job. I hope to leave work each day with the satisfaction of knowing that I positively impacted someone’s life. I want to make this profession more than just a job. I want to make it my passion.

I would like to close by saying I am honored to be nominated for the Georgia Occupational Award of Leadership, and I truly feel I would do an excellent job of representing our school!

No comments:

Post a Comment