Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Never have I ever

Never have I ever had pain like I have felt the last week. It started last Thursday in class when I started feeling these sharp, stabbing, radiating, pains in my back and side. I knew it was unlike anything I had ever felt before, but I wasn't going to rush to the hospital just yet. By Friday I was hurting even worse, almost as if I was having contraction and I knew that enough was enough. I headed to the Dr. only to be turned away basically by a P.A (who we will call "D") who didn't really take my pain seriously. she chalked it up to POSSIBLY being a kidney stone and dismissed me with a prescription for Tylenol. I was NOT a happy camper to say the least. By Saturday morning I was at my point of intolerance and I called back up to Urgent Care and was blessed to talk to a lady who actually took my pain seriously this time. Just for privacy sake, we will call her "C".She told me to come back in and she would take care of me. Let me just say, she was amazing. Two x-rays and a Iv of pain meds later, I was told I indeed had two kidney stones and hopefully would be able to pass them within a few days. "C" has even called me twice since to check in and see if I was feeling ok and if I'd passed any stones yet. Since I have never had kidney stones before, I wasn't 100% sure what they felt like, but after this experience, I can say they are ALOT like having a baby. Unfortunately, instead of there being a sweet little baby as the reward, this time you get NOTHING! Since I was still in lots of pain, and I hadn't passed the stones yet, "C" urged me to go get a CT scan done at the hospital, just to be sure they looked small enough for me to pass and to rule out any other possible problems. Not only was I still in pain, but having bad breakouts of sweat too. I was waking up in pools of sweat at night from the pain and Derek was even telling me I really needed to do something as well! As much as I didn't want to do it, I dragged myself into the ER yesterday and to my surprise they got me RIGHT back. I was once again hooked up to Iv's given fluids and pain meds and I experienced my first ever CT scan. It was interesting to say the least, but I was able to confirmed that my ureter was dilated(due to passing 1 stone...YAY!) and I still indeed have one to pass. The Dr. seemed very confident that I would be able to pass it within the next few days though, hopefully with no problems. So now I am just waiting and praying this things expels itself sooner rather than later. Derek has just been so amazing through all this though. He has totally taken over when I needed him too and let this mommy get the rest she needs to recover. I am so thankful to have him as a husband, I'd be so lost without him!

On top of all that, today I broke out in a very strange, itchy, raised rash all over my feet. I have never had this happen before and I am wondering if its maybe a reaction to some kind of medication I am on, or is it just these new socks? I bought some new socks and didn't wash them before I wore them today.... Hmmm....guess time will tell. I will tell y'all one things though..I NEED A BREAK FROM ALL THIS CRAZINESS!!! One positive thing about it is, that I can relate to my patients alot better since I have been through this stuff.

I cannot believe this quarter is almost over! It has flown by SO super fast, and we are down to the last few weeks. Clinicals start tomorrow and I am excited and nervous at the same time! I can't wait to get that hands on experience, but I sure hope I don't make a fool out of myself! I know I am still learning and new at all this, but I don't want to make any mistakes that can jeopardize my patients so I am just praying I can remember all the important stuff we have learned thus far when it comes down to dealing the real deal! Wish me luck!

And last but not least I will leave you with a few cute pictures of my little bear! I love these pictures because at first he was ok with me snapping a few and then he covered up his face and said "No Mo" ...meaning NO MORE lol!



No comments:

Post a Comment