Saturday, October 31, 2009

Halloween and God's AMAZING Love*

OK forewarning....this WILL be a long post, but if you can stick with it and read it all I think you won't be disappointed!

So Friday was Carson's Halloween party at school! They let him come in his costume and they had lots of goodies for all the kids. Then they made sure to take his costume off after the party so it wouldn't get dirty! I took some cute pictures and it seems like he had a BALL! Here are the pictures!

Well today was actually Halloween, and I was soo soo soo excited to dress the boys up! Our plans were to take them to the BIG festival at First Baptist church, and then maybe come back to our house and do some trick-or-treating in our neighborhood...that was OUR plan, but certainly NOT God's....let me explain! Recently, two different families have moved onto our street. One family is a single mom raising two daughters and a son. The daughters are 12 and 13 and the son is either 6 or 7. The mom works what seems to be all the time to obviously take care of her children and I don't think the dad is around or maybe doesn't live here.Anyways, The little boy frequently is just outside by himself, and so my husband being the BIG kid that he is, sometimes will invite him(and all the OTHER neighborhood kids) over to play with the boys in our yard. Carson really enjoys the company and he will say "Mommy, I like to play with my friends!" Well today alot of the neighborhood kids were out playing, and Derek took the boys our for a while to join them. I walked out and started asking some of the kids what they would be dressing up as for Halloween? All the kids were excited and saying they were going to be this, or that, and the little boy of the single mom, who we will just call "V", said he was going to be a football player. I told all the kids their costumes sounded great, and rounded my Godwin boys up so we could all get ready to leave. Derek told me when we came inside that he really didn't feel like going to First Baptists festival, and would be alot happier just trick-or-treating in our neighborhood. I told him that was ok with me too, so we got ready and headed outside to get the festivities underway. When we walked out, V was sitting in our yard. He looked very sad, and so we asked him what was wrong. He said, "The truth is, I don't have a Halloween costume, I have never even been trick or treating before." He said, " My mom is at work and she won't be able to take me this year either" My heart just about broke seeing how bad he was feeling. Derek and I just looked at each other and without saying a word we both made the decision RIGHT THEN that we would take him with us if his mom would allow it. So I said,"Well its ok if you don't have a costume, I have a trick or treat bag you can use and if your mom says its ok we would love you to ride around the neighborhood with us" The little boys face just lit up and you could tell it made his day. Then he said" Well I can just pretend to be a football player!" (Yea I know...pretty heart wrenching right?) So I went inside to get Carson's old Halloween bag from last year and as I went in his closet to find it, there sat a Halloween costume...the exact size for a 6 or 7 year old that Derek's sister had given us for Carson to play Dress up in. It was an incredible hulk suite, and it was JUST perfect for our little friend V. I almost burst in to tears right then, because I knew God had orchestrated this whole thing, nothing was a coincidence and we were about to do something for this little boy that would probably make his whole day. As I walked outside and showed him his new costume..he smiled so big and said, "Wow, I'd love to wear that one!" I then walked with him to his house and asked his sister if she could call his mom for us so we could ask her, and hesitantly his mom agreed. She had already met us once before, but as a mom myself I can totally understand how strange it must be to let your child go off with strangers. I left her with my number though and she said she was thankful for our kindness because she felt really bad that he was otherwise going to be unable to do anything but sit at home. He had a great time and we were so happy to be able to do something so small to us but so HUGE to him. God is so amazing and good and he showed his love to this little boy through us....AMAZZZZING! Here are some pictures from our night. We ended up driving around several neighborhood children and we really had a BLAST! Hope everyone else had a great night too...ENJOY the pics! :-)
*Carson and V*


*All three boys*


*Going to get some treats*


*Cam is bumming a ride*


*Carson and some of his "friends"*


*Yep, it was a fun night for this little man*

No comments:

Post a Comment